Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Friend By Heart

No man is an island. A popular quote by someone who died a long time ago.
I have to give it to him, he has explained a beautiful reality in less than 10 words. (A talent I wish I had)

I was having lunch with my dearly beloved girls this afternoon. To give you a little history of our roller coaster friendship, we became friends and acquaintances during gradeschool, became officially a barkada during 6th grade and we drifted apart when we went to different school during highschool. We reconnected a little bit before graduation and we've been seeing each other occasionally ever since.

Back to the topic. So there we were, all 6 of us casually eating and excitedly sharing each other's updates at breakneck pace when all of a sudden, one of the girls stopped talking and asked in the most concerned way "Kostbarse, what's wrong? Are you okay?"
I was speechless for a while. How could she have sensed something that was buried so deep within me that I, myself, didn't notice?
Her question gave me a kind of peace that temporarily comforted me. Knowing that someone cared, that someone was listening to the things unsaid, strengthened me to move forward and do something about my problem.

A few days ago I was mourning at the thought that I don't have real friends. Today, I ask myself, how real can this friendship get?

I can sleep happy tonight, knowing that I have people who love me to live for. 

Real friends are hard to find in this world full of unreal people.

No comments:

Post a Comment